Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Southern Sudan with the Lewis Family and Toposa People


One month from today, I will begin my journey to Southern Sudan. With 7 other people from church, I am headed to Sudan to meet up with the Lewis Family who moved from Beaumont to Sudan to be missionaries to the Toposa tribe. Shannon Lewis used to be our missions minister at Calvary, and his wife, Carrie, was a nurse at St. Elizabeth. While he was on mission trips and she worked nights, I would babysit for them every now and then. I'm really excited to see the boys again!! In preparation for this trip, I've have to take an oral typhoid vaccine and get 3 shots (Hep A & B, Tetanus and Yellow Fever). I'm also going to have to learn how to pack everything I will need for 10 days in 1 suitcase and 1 backpack and it all can't weigh more than 44 pounds.... that's a little scary if you know me.. I'm a heavy packer usually taking 10 outfits to choose from for even a 2 day trip! : ) We'll see how I do!

While I'm there, I get to do some homeschooling with the boys while the group goes out to the villages in the morning. In the afternoon, I will be going out with the teams to the villages to tell stories from the bible using the story cloth. The story cloth goes from creation to the resurrection in 42 stories.
I'm SUPER excited to go!!! I'm also extremely nervous, too! I've never been out of the country, and to have Sudan be my first trip is a little scary - but I'm ready for the challenge! God is going to do great things while I'm there... I can't wait to see that family too... I miss them a lot!!!

Pray for the team that's going with me! They are Don Bush, Justin Edgerly, Gordon Fontenot, Clay Jones, Eliot Pages, Giles Sigler, and a mystery woman! The mystery woman can't be named until Carrie finds out who she is.. it's a surprise to her. : )

Don't you love on my map it says "Somewhere in Southern Sudan?" I don't even know where I'm going.. haha!! I just know I'm staying with the Lewis family... wherever they may be in the bush.

No comments: